Thursday, October 16, 2008

Collector at Heart



There once was a little blonde haired girl who tortured her parents on every family outing by stopping to admire everything about nature. This little girl would stuff her pockets full of little treasures such as rocks, pine cones, shells and fallen bird eggs. Sometimes, to her dad's dismay, the car was actually bogged down with these treasures. This little girl eventually grew up but her love of nature remained strong.





It is nature in all it's God-created glory that serves as the inspiration for my jewelry designs. I am in awe of the beautiful gemstones and shells that exist in this world. My ultimate love is creating jewelry from sea glass found on the beach. For those of you new to the game, sea glass is just what you think - bits of broken glass from shipwrecks and other sources which have been tumbled in the waves and sand for decades. The finish on sea glass is pitted, frosty and smooth to the touch. Searching for glass is addicting. From the first moment I spot a glowing gem in the sand, until I have walked so far I don't even know where I am, my neck is craned in search of treasure.

I wanted to create this spot where people could go to see what's new (and old) in my jewelry designs. I've been working with a talented new photographer to get my work memorialized - she is responsible for the great photos posted here. You can check her out at http://www.elainegates.com/. Elaine is super cute and has such a creative eye. She's a true pleasure to work with.

I hope you enjoy the photos and the designs! More to come...

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I LOVE the blog. Elaine captured your jewelry so beautifully. I'm so glad that I get to see your new stuff and hear your thoughts. Take your camera this weekend and make sure you post about "Girls Night In." I know alot of ladies that would love to go to something like that. Gives me an idea...

Elaine Gates said...

Beautiful... Cant wait to see what is new and fresh! :)